Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Brrrr

The temperature is dropping big time (yesterday it got into the 60's). The tulip leaves are drooping and look like they suffered in the frost a bit last night. It's going to continue to get colder for the next several days. And not supposed to warm up until the weekend.

I had to put on my winter coat today which is a bummer since I was wearing shorts on the trail yesterday. I also brought out the flip-flops for the first time this season yesterday afternoon.

One popcorn sprout has keeled over. It's still green, but I fear it is on it's way to popcorn heaven. The other is leaning, but has not fallen over. Should never have started them so early.

I was thinking about last summers flowers and I realized I don't think I took any pictures at all after the bunch of meanie 'gardeners' pulled up my sundrops. I had a nice crop of zinnias, though I couldn't bring myself to thin them so they were planted very close together. Cosmos came up, but were pretty crappy and thin, and not as tall as they should have been. I don't think they liked the mulch. I planted Nasturtium from seed, and they came up strong, but the leaves were all nibbled off by a chipmunk or bunny before they were more than two inches tall.

I also had marigolds and petunias and dusty miller that I bought as transplants. I like to 'rescue' a flat of leftover bedding plants once they get to be 50-75 percent off. I like the challenge of trying to coax them back to life.

1 comment:

Carol Michel said...

Thanks for the nice comment on my blog post today. I love finding other Hoosier garden bloggers.

It did indeed get quite cold today. Like winter again! And that's no fooling.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens