Wednesday, April 2, 2008

"Winter" Sowing

I was on another garden blog and remembered that I still hadn't done my winter sowing that I wanted to try. Sherbet containers, cottage cheese containers and coffee containers to the rescue along with some regular flower pots and the plastic I used to help insulate my windows over the winter. All of my little containers have been out now for about a day. It was good and cold last night, but tonight will be a little warmer. Since I didn't sow during true winter, I'm wondering if I'm doing it too late. But I figured it couldn't hurt and if it doesn't work, I'll plant again in May. The average last frost date that I'm going with is May 5th, so we're sure to have some winter-like weather between now and then for the seeds to get a good dose of 'winter' before they come up.

I planted the dwarf/patio mix kind of sweet peas, and a couple of blue morning glories. I wish them good luck and will be thrilled if they come up at their perfect internal time.

No comments: