Saturday, April 5, 2008

They're here!

Big cardboard box on my front step last night full of plant life.
It was waiting for me when I got home from work last night.
Now I have a refrigerator full of lily bulbs and bare roots geraniums.
I'm hoping the Rose of Sharon stay dormant, but I'm afraid that won't last. They are sitting on the floor by an outside wall in an effort to keep cool.

I had to repot the dragon flowers immediately. I'd never seen such root bound plants in my life. There was hardly any dirt in the cell packs, only roots. Also roots sticking up out of the top. of the pot...that's a new one for me. So I had to rip the roots apart and I think they are all happily living in margarine, cottage cheese and cookie dough containers. I don't know that they'll thrive in those, but it has to be better than they were. And they only have to stay there for a week. I'll be visiting Mom in a week to get them in the ground. (where they'll probably freeze anyway)

Mom had a good idea though. Since I want plants to arrive later in the season. Next year I shouldn't even order until mid-April. They can't send them early if I haven't ordered them yet!

The potted plants took a little stroll out to the front steps this morning for a little fresh air and light. Not sure what the afternoon weather holds, so I brought them in when I headed for work. I thought they might like a little light after being in a cardboard box for two days.

2 comments:

Barbee' said...

Hi Babs, I tried that, but ran into the problem of their being sold out of what I wanted! Some companies will let you tell them the date you want them shipped. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing more exciting when that package finally shows up in the mail. I found you on blotanical. You have a great blog going. Keep up the good work!