Friday, May 16, 2008

Lots of Leaves (or no flowers in sight)

Meanwhile, back at the apartment:

The tulips are no more and now all I have to look at are tulip foliage, lily stalks, a few day lily leaves and lots of sprouts and seedlings. I am surrounded by healthy green plant life, little miracles that have burst forth out of tiny seeds. Yet, I am impatient and disappointed because flowers seem a long way off, and may never come at all should the mulchmen come to weed. Obviously I'm being pessimistic, but it seems like it will never happen. I'm like a little kid on a road trip.

Are we there yet? NO. Are we there yet? NO. Are we getting close? NO.

Today before work I transplanted my two little winter sown marigolds into a pot that so far has had nothing to show for itself. The soil in their winter sowing container was pretty shallow and their roots had just ever so slightly started to circle the bottom. I hope they will do well. Right now they are the most mature of all of the sprouts and seedlings outside my front door.

I also hope the trend of cool wet weather lifts soon. I think it might be to blame for stunting their growth. It might also be to blame for my pessimism....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Before you know it you'll have more flowers than you'll know what to do with!