Saturday, March 22, 2008

Small Signs of Spring Poking Through

The only sprouts that remain alive are the popcorn sprouts, growing straight and tall and each has added an additional leaf.

Mom may be bringing me flower boxes this week. If so, I want to fill them with potting mix and set them outside to try a little winter sowing. I'm thinking plastic wrap may make the best cover if I just poke a few holes in it for ventilation. I figure it will be just like winter sowing in a container, except I won't have to transplant them. If it doesn't work, I can just plant again in May.

Little signs of spring outside...the tulips that came up too early last year have again come up a little too early for the freakish Indiana weather. No buds or blooms to freeze and die just yet. Just leaf tips, so hopefully no damage will be done. Still no sign of the tulips I planted last fall. I got them on sale at Menard's. I tossed a couple, but most looked good when I put them in. Since I haven't seen anything from them yet, I'm hoping they're just on a different internal schedule than the 'early bloomers' that have already appeared.


In the kitchen, I just tried my hand at split pea soup for the first time yesterday. Success! Just a bag of peas, three chopped carrots and three chopped potatoes (I left the skins on) some garlic, parsley, onion, and thyme. Two and a half hours latter, perfection. I am going to be eating split pea soup for quite some time though. It made a lot!

Also in my love of sprouting things from my kitchen, the seeds of the most fabulous grapefruit are now under a blanket of dirt in an empty pot. I should have taken more biology classes in high school because I love the experimental side of waiting to see what will happen. I bet most gardeners would make good scientists as every thing we plant is an experiment.

No comments: